Sunday, September 2, 2018

Summer 2018 (May 31) - posted 9/2/18

On May 31, Dr Jamie Rotenburg (bander in NC who does the summer version of our banding) received a band report from a South Carolina Department of Natural Resources colleague who is at Botany Bay State Park on Edisto Island.  It is a male.  The colors are CKSW  (lime green over split on the left, silver over white on the right). It is one of our birds!!

CKSW was banded at PB 27 on January 23, 2016 and ironically Jamie was there at the time!!  He had come for a  3 day visit to give some talks on the results of his research and he attended this banding session with us.  The host at PB 27 had one of Jamie's summer banded Painted Buntings and had hosted him one other time way before we ever started banding in FL in winter.

How strange can this all be??

CKSW at time of banding 1/12/16
resighted on its breeding grounds in SC


2 comments:

  1. WOW! What are the odds of that happenings?! Very exciting indeed. I feel a kindred spirit with Dr. Jamie now.I knew he was special many years ago, along with his wife when they stepped into my bathtub to get a better view of the banded male bird in my yard I had captured a picture of the bird the season before when it was a green bird!This was the first banded bird reported with a picture in the state of Fl. If I can find the picture of his visit this last time I will include it. Big thanks to Nancy & all the team members for their kindness over the years and sharing in their knowledge of these wonderful flying rainbows! I will miss our sessions together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not strange at all! I think all things happen for a reason. I will be sure to keep an eye for this special boy's return this year to my feeder. Miss Nan an team already.

    ReplyDelete