Tuesday, September 27, 2016

September 27, 2016 It's here and may it continue!

After a great day migrant birding in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, Bill and I did an impromptu session at Possum Long on Sunday (9/25).  Though we did not catch a lot (Ovenbirds and Northern Cardinals), the birds on the property, high up in the canopy, were fantastic!  Probably my second best day ever at Possum Long.

Young male Northern Cardinal

We found 23 species of birds including one property record.  The two Baltimore Orioles we saw may not be the first ever there but it is the first we are aware of.  Chimney Swifts were flying over.  We found a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are back.  We had six species of warblers:  Ovenbird, Worm-eating, American Redstart, Northern Parula, Black-and-white, and Pine.  Bill flushed a Chuck-will's-widow and it landed long enough for me to see it.  There were several Summer Tanagers and a Brown Thrasher!  I couldn't wait to go back Monday.

On Monday, there seemed to be fewer birds and different ones.  I did find 2 additional species of warblers:  Cape May and Prairie.  One of the orioles remained as did the Brown Thrasher.  Red-eyed Vireos were evident.  I had a pretty good list considering I only had an hour to look.

So, Tuesday morning found me hopeful but I was worried that only 5 nets might not be enough to catch birds.  I would never do more than I thought I could safely handle alone.  When what to my wondering eyes should appear but Nancy Price, returned from her grand adventure with greetings from Jane!  I am so thankful she was there to help.  We added more nets and hoped for the best.  It was decidedly quieter than Sunday but migrants were around.  Even George had migrated back from Nova Scotia!  First Nancy brought me a Swainson's Thrush - first thrush since spring.

Swainson's Thrush

underwing Swainson's Thrush

Not many birder's get to see the light band on the underwing of this species.

We caught two hatch year Northern Cardinals but they went unbanded as I didn't have the proper size band (waiting for an order to come in!).

Next we caught a White-eyed Vireo.  This is a young bird that has yet to develop that pure white eye.

These birds can look a bit intimidating.  They are assertive birds and tell you so!

White-eyed Vireo

White-eyed Vireo

Right after the vireo, Nancy brought in a Black-throated Blue Warbler.  Also a young bird as told by the white patch on his throat.  


Black-throated Blue Warbler

Last but not least we got one of the many Red-eyed Vireos on the property today.  This bird was also young, the eye had not fully turned red.  You can just about make out the hook on the beak typical of many vireo species.  

Red-eyed Vireo

All in all a day I was very happy with.

Next scheduled banding:  Tuesday, October 4.  Nets go up at 6:45 am.





No comments:

Post a Comment