Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January 29, 2013

Today could have been a total bust but for one great bird.  It was pretty muggy and the forecast wasn't too great.  The birds took a long time to start singing in the early morning.  We got the nets set up and there were cardinals and catbirds near the woods net.  I was trying to watch those birds when less than a foot from me something jumped up.  It went into the net.  My first thought was squirrel (that being a bad deal if it ripped the net), but squirrels do not have feathers.

Photo by Marko Sillanpaa

We caught a Chuck-will's-widow!!  Wing length confirmed our identification and ruled out Whip-poor-will, the other possibility.

I never dreamed I would band this species.  I can pretty much guess I might get a Palm Warbler, Northern Mockingbird, etc but I would not have predicted it.  No one had ever detected one on the property.

Chuck-will's-widows are named for their vocalization.  They belong to a group of birds called nightjars and they are night hunters, catching flying insects.  They have rictal bristles near their mouths.  When they are flying if a moth or other insect touches the bristles the mouth flies opens in order to catch it.  What a big mouth it has!




Photo by Nancy Price


Photo by Nancy Price

Mouth wide open; good thing it doesn't bite like a cardinal.

Many thanks to all of the volunteers!  I know some were disappointed to get there after the bird-of-the-day and then to be rained out.  You are a great help and I appreciate your efforts.

Next banding February 5, 2013 (weather permitting)

Additional information:  We noted that this bird had white feathers on one side of his tail but not the other.  The Nightjar Survey Group is discussing this and it is possible that our bird lost some feathers and then molted in some replacement ones.

Photo by Marko Sillanpaa

No comments:

Post a Comment